Global Narrative Lead
Employment Type: Full-Time
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
Airbnb's own data is key to how we tell the story of Airbnb's unique value proposition as a company that uses travel to help create connection, build community and trust, and benefit more people and places, providing economic empowerment around the world.
The Corporate Communications team is looking for a Global Narrative Lead who will be responsible for pulling and analyzing data, and providing insights and research to help inform communications strategy and content. You will sit at the intersection of data science and communications, partnering with Corporate, Consumer, and Policy Communications team members to ensure that they have accurate, timely, and powerful insights that both drive and support compelling narratives.
You will have strong expertise in data science tools such as SQL, spanning from writing complex queries to translating data into metrics, dashboards, and analysis. You must be fluent in English, experienced at communicating both verbally and in writing about data and insights to layperson audiences, able to work independently, and excellent at time management and organization. You think and act like an entrepreneur, you are resourceful and goal-driven, and you enjoy and are inspired by travel. You are curious about current events, the media environment and popular culture. You have a solid understanding of Airbnb's product and user experience and how the varying stages of this product could generate compelling data. And, you have personal integrity that reflects Airbnb's core values and commitment to diversity and belonging.
You will report to the Director, Global Narrative & Data and follow best practices established by the Airbnb Data Science team. This role can be based in any major city in the US.
Examples of projects:
* Drive and support proactive external communications by identifying key trends and extracting main data insights. These communications can take the form of reports, press releases, talking points, pitches, and activations for consumer and policy comms purposes.
* Recent examples include: *identifying Thanksgiving travel trends; *looking into specific demographics of hosts (families, veterans, teachers, etc.) and their earnings.
* Support larger proactive requests that need multiple rounds of queries and follow-up.
* Help build and maintain data dashboards to enable Communications Managers to pull data for local press purposes.
* Support responses to media needs for data, including urgent requests, that are funneled through Communications Managers based around the world.
* Recent examples include: *quickly measuring and turning around measurement of the increase in searches for specific travel corridors as travel restrictions lift; *sourcing lists of listings based on time zones and listings with striking interior design; *pulling travel search behavior for families in Australia.
* (if expertise on the topic) Produce data visualizations to include within our Newsroom and social posts and share with the media.
* 7+ years of relevant experience in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
* Technical proficiency in data science tools such as SQL.
* Ability to exercise judgment and maintain confidentiality.
* Exhibit strong process-oriented skills and passion for trying, learning, improving, and sharing best practices.
* Demonstrate outstanding pro-active and multi-tasking abilities.
* Strong written and verbal communication skills.
* Ability to maintain enthusiasm and a level head in even stressful situations.
* Proven track record of being reliable, prepared, responsive, eager to learn and encouraging of others.