Laboratory Assistant, Per Diem, Variable Days, Selma Hospital
Employment Type: Full-Time
Adventist Health is more than an award-winning health system. We provide whole-person care to our communities and champion the greater good - from the operating room to the boardroom, we are driven by our unique passion to live God's love through health, wholeness and hope. From Oregon to Oahu, we have a calling to always do more. Now is your chance to apply your passion to our mission.
We're looking for someone to join our team as a Laboratory Assistant who:
Collects, distributes and analyzes specimens in an inpatient setting. Supports laboratory including specimen ordering, processing and preparation for testing. Monitors specimens for send out to reference laboratory. Performs specimen collection as needed. Focuses on phlebotomy and specimen collection; may perform other, less complex technical and clerical tasks.
* Collects, processes, and preserves specimens. Performs clerical duties to process and report test results. Prioritize based on order status (STAT, ASAP, routine). Performs blood collection on inpatients and/or outpatients in all areas of the hospital or satellite locations, to include adult venipuncture, neonate venipuncture and heel stick and special testing such as bleeding time, blood cultures, etc.
* Ensures all specimens are properly labeled and meet specimen requirements. Resolves and documents labeling discrepancies according to policy. Processes and maintains records of specimens sent to reference labs. Assists in inventory management including ordering supplies and stocking supplies.
* Performs Microbiology primary processing including properly making slides for gram stains. Receives specimens in the lab properly and properly inoculates appropriate media.
* Performs testing according to laboratory policies including quality control standards, calibrations, and documentation. Documents quality control, calibration and test results. Performs collection audits on LIS to monitor status of specimens.
* Identifies specimens or tests results problems and notifies appropriate lab personnel. Reports panic, stat or other abnormal test results following approval of Clinical Lab Scientist.
* Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
You'll be successful with the following qualifications:
* High School Education/GED or equivalent: Required in CA; Preferred in HI and ORAssociate's/Technical Degree or equivalent combination of education/related experience: Preferred
* Experience in Phlebotomy in acute care environment: Preferred
* Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT) license: Required in CA; Preferred in OR and HIRefer to the Required Licenses and Certifications list for additional job and/or unit specific requirements.
Adventist Health is committed to the safety and wellbeing of our associates and patients. Therefore, we require that all associates receive all required vaccinations, including, but not limited to, measles, mumps, flu (based on the seasonal availability of the flu vaccine typically during October-March each year), etc., as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter. Medical and religious exemptions may apply.