Senior User Researcher
Employment Type: Full-Time
Senior User Researcher
Job Title: Senior User Researcher
Reporting To: Director of User Research
Department: User Research
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Founded in 1979, Activision has continuously disrupted the world of entertainment as a leader in the videogame industry. With a history of delivering iconic game changers -- like Pitfall®, Tony Hawk®, Guitar Hero®, Crash Bandicoot™, Skylanders™ and Call of Duty® -- our obsession is delighting our players around the globe. Focused and committed to innovation, we consistently deliver the most beloved, engaging and successful entertainment.
And while we have world-class franchises, infrastructure and resources, our success comes from a passionate, talented and diverse team of people producing greatness together. So, if you're interested in our biggest priority, it's our people.
We're currently driving the next era for our company and community by creating amazing experiences for fans and continuing to make Activision an inclusive place where everyone can thrive.
Join us, make history. To learn more, check us out at www.activision.com, www.activisiongamesblog.com or @Activision on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
Activision is looking for a passionate and experienced Senior Researcher to carry out user research on some of the world's best-known franchises. Your role will primarily focus on conducting research on various Call of Duty and other Activision projects. The ideal candidate is a motivated and experienced researcher familiar with testing Multiplayer, Battle Royale, and/or live ops games for player sentiment and usability.
Player Profile: Executes User Research studies and activities
* Conducts and oversees user research for at least one game title in collaboration with peers and managers, including all stages from planning to execution and debriefing with stakeholders.
* Carries out research using a variety of methods, including, but not limited to: usability testing, balance testing, surveys, heuristic evaluations, and exploratory research.
* Crafts and edits reports and surveys in a variety of length and detail formats
* Communicates summarized research results effectively to development teams for discussion and future implementation
* Offers design suggestions based on observation, research, and expertise
* Challenges stakeholders when research value becomes sub-optimal
* Provides input on how processes can be improved
* Contributes to coaching and training of staff on an as-needed basis
* Directs and supports direct reports and project staff in execution of projects
* Occasionally travels to run on-site tests or to act as research expert and advisor
Knowledge & Skills
* At least five years of experience conducting or overseeing user experience research. Experience in the game user research space preferred.
* Bachelor's degree required (preferred branches of psychology, anthropology, human factors, human computer interaction, communications, market research, game design, or related fields). Advanced degree (MS, PhD, etc.) preferred but not required.
* Experience with Multiplayer and PVE shooter games strongly preferred.
* Experience testing mobile or live ops games is a plus
* Skills in Qualtrics, Excel, video editing, and other software used in qualitative and quantitative research preferred but not required.
* Experience with focus groups, interviews, card sorts, and field studies a plus.
* Must have a passion for user research and video games
* Excellent interpersonal communication (both written and verbal)
* Strong organizational and analytical skills coupled with professional empathy
* Adaptable and quick learner that enjoys tackling a large variety of problems
* An understanding of, and experience with, conducting scientific studies with participants of all ages
Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI), is one of the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment. We are home to some of the most beloved entertainment franchises including Call of Duty®, World of Warcraft®, Overwatch®, Diablo®, Candy Crush™ and Bubble Witch™. Our combined entertainment network delights hundreds of millions of monthly active users in 196 countries, making us the largest gaming network on the planet!
Our ability to build immersive and innovate worlds is only enhanced by diverse teams working in an inclusive environment. We aspire to have a culture where everyone can thrive in order to connect and engage the world through epic entertainment. We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for 'Every World' - we've got our employees covered!
The videogame industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
Activision is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.