Employment Type: Full-Time
AC Transit is actively seeking courteous, customer service-oriented and dependable individuals to safely operate our buses and provide the highest quality of service to our customers and community. Previous Bus Operator Experience is NOT REQUIRED. AC Transit offers a full-time, comprehensive paid training program to selected candidates who demonstrate the aptitude, interpersonal skills, and desire for a career as an AC Transit Bus Operator. Under the supervision of Transportation Supervisors, Division Superintendent and/or Division Assistant Superintendent, operates a variety of District vehicles to transport passengers in a safe and courteous manner along a fixed route; performs customer service activities; inspects transit vehicles; operates and monitors farebox; completes reports and forms; reports incidents or events during route that may impact efficient transit operation; assists passengers requiring special assistance.
This is an excellent opportunity to work at one of the largest bus agencies in California. In addition to working with some of the best in the business, AC Transit also has an excellent benefits package that includes pension, medical, dental, and vision coverage, flexible spending, and a 457 savings plan. As an AC Transit employee, you would become part of an extended family of individuals who take great pride in making a difference in the communities that they service.
To learn more about Becoming a Bus Operator with AC Transit, please view the link below.
To apply online view the link Careers | Alameda-Contra Costa Transit District (actransit.org).
* Operates a varietyof Districtvehicles to transportpassengersin a safeandcourteous manner along a fixed route;transports buses between Divisions, and to otherDistrictlocations as required.
* Performs customer service activities; assists passengers with directions; answers questions regarding District operations, rules, and regulations; responds to conflicts and disruptive/hostile/abusive passengers consistent with AC Transit provided training and instruction.
* Performs pre-trip transit vehicle inspections; identifiesandreports safety concerns, defectsand malfunctions,and other needed repairs.
* Operatesequipment includingcomputerized fare-box, electronic head sign, doors, tailgate, windows, emergency escape hatch, rear lift (vans only), mirrors, seats, emergency brake system, and rear start.
* Collects passenger fares consistent with District fare collection policy; operatesandmonitorsfare box; distributes, collects, and inspectstransfers, and passes; ensuresaccuratefaresfor seniors, adults, youth, and persons with disabilities.
* Prepares a variety ofwrittenreportsandforms completely and legiblyincluding accident/incident reports; defect card regardingequipment malfunction/failure; and reports of medical emergencies.
* Communicates withOperations Central Control (OCC) to provide information regarding 911 emergency situations; traffic problems, road hazards, and accidents; and unusual activities or occurrences.
* Assists passengers requiring special assistance in a professional manner to ensure access to public transportation for allandto promote passenger safety; consistent with District instruction, assists all passengers in compliance with applicable civil rights statutes, regulations, and policies.
* In compliance withAC Transitprovided training regarding the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), operatespassenger lift and kneeler to provide access todisabled passengers in boarding and de-boarding, and safely secures disabled passengers.
* Performs related duties as required.
Education: Graduation from high school or has attained a General Education Diploma (GED), California High School Proficiency Certificate or equivalent.
Experience: A minimum of three (3) years operating a motor vehicle and one (1) year of public contact or customer service experience; must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age.
Desirable Qualifications: Exceptional verbal communication skills, professional interaction with customers, and the ability to courteously diffuse conflict. Motivated, dependable, punctual and assumes pride in representing AC Transit. Ability to work independently, follow safety rules and company policies at all times.
Applicants must meet the District's safe driving standards including: 21 years of age. 3 years of driving with a regular license. Not more than one (1) moving violation in the past three (3) years. No At-Fault accidents in the past three (3) years. No 'Failures to Appear' or 'Failures to Pay' in the last three (3) years. No suspensions in the last three (3) years. No Reckless Driving or DUI (driving under the influence) in the last seven (7) years.
Physical Requirements For Driving (by federal regulation): Applicants must complete a DOT Physical to establish their physical qualifications to perform the essential functions of the position. Those physical qualifications are set forth in49 C.F.R. Section 391.41. https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/title49/section/391.41.
For Wheel Chair Tie-Downs:Ability to balance while simultaneously working low to the ground to manipulate and fasten tie-down straps.
Medical: Must pass a Department of Transportation (DOT) physical examination, including drug and alcohol screening tests.
Licensing:To apply, a regular Class C license is required. Commercial driver's license/permits are not required to apply.
Criminal History:All eligible candidates will be fingerprinted and screened for criminal history with the Department of Justice. Conviction of a crime is not necessarily a bar to employment. Each case will be given individual consideration on a case-by-case basis.
This position is represented by ATU.
Benefits:As an employee hired after January 1, 2020, you are in the District's Tier II Pension plan covered by the Public Employees' Pension Reform Act (PEPRA). You will be responsible for 100% of the employee contribution up to the annual limit on pensionable compensation. The contribution rate will be determined each fiscal year.
The Selection Process:The Human Resources department must receive a completed online application by the filling date. If this recruitment is 'Open Until Filled,' it may be closed at any time without notice. Applications will be screened for job-related qualifications, and those candidates who best meeting the qualifications listed on this Job Announcement will be invited to participate in an examination process that may include written, oral, and/or performance segments. Current District employees must have satisfactory attendance and performance records. Finalists will be placed on a ranked Eligibility List. When filling vacancies, the Human Resources Department will refer the top candidates to the hiring department for final screening and recommendation.Final candidates are subject to background checks upon hire.
ADA Compliant and Drug-Free Workplace:The Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts in the recruitment/examination process to accommodate applicants with disabilities. If you have a need for accommodation, please call the Recruitment/Employment Administrator at (510) 891-4783, or TDD (800) 448-9790 for the hearing impaired.
The Alameda Contra Costa Transit District has established the goal of a 100 percent drug and alcohol-free workplace. Applicants will be required to undergo drug and alcohol testing prior to employment and those in safety-sensitive positions will be subject to further drug and alcohol testing through their period of employment, including random drug and alcohol testing.
In accordance with federal requirements, all job applicants selected for appointments in this safety-sensitive position are subject to pre-employment drug and alcohol testing. A final job applicant will be tested for five prohibited drugs: Cocaine, PCP, Amphetamines, Marijuana, and Opiates. During employment, employees holding safety-sensitive positions are subject to random, reasonable suspicion, post-accident, return-to-duty, and follow-up drug and alcohol testing. Additionally, in the event of an absence of more than 90 days from a safety-sensitive position, pre-employment drug testing will be performed.
Equal Opportunity Employer