Legal Claims Specialist
Compensation: $53,530.00 - $88,060.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Our location in Sylmar, CA, currently has an opportunity for a Legal Claims Specialist to join our Warranty and Claims team supporting our Medical Device Business Unit. The preferred candidate should be self-motivated and detail oriented and have excellent customer service skills. The Legal Claims Specialist investigates product liability claims and/or other claims presented directly by claimants. Candidate must possess strong communication skills to resolve and/or facilitate the resolution of claims with independent judgement and a high level of discretion.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Performs work that requires knowledge of legal concepts and identifies legal issues related to assigned matters.
- Resolves routine and moderately complex matters in areas of responsibility with minimal supervision.
- Strategizes and consults with appropriate members of the Claims team (supervisor, manager and/or attorneys), in resolving claims.
- Prepares a plan of investigation and communication upon notification of a claim.
- Participates in tactical planning and assessment with the supervisor and/or attorney in negotiations with customers and patients.
- Recommends and negotiates settlement of claims, as directed.
- Manages moderately complex department projects using effective delivery strategies.
- Reviews, evaluates, and develops reports to include data summaries across multiple databases, systems, and software.
- Possesses solid knowledge of Abbott’s businesses supported and knowledge of the broader business impact.
- Assesses the alleged complaint and performs investigations on claim allegations with all relevant stakeholders, including collection and evaluation of medical records, as appropriate.
- Receives and responds appropriately to routine and non-routine requests using good judgment and effective communication skills.
- Evaluates requests for compensation from patients. Evaluates documentation provided and conducts follow-up research with hospitals, insurance companies, and Medicare, as necessary.
- Responsible for initial triage and assignment of routine claims to junior specialists.
- Supports more senior claims specialists, supervisors or attorneys on more complex claims.
- Supports and complies with U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, other regulatory requirements, Company policies, operating procedures, processes, and task assignments.
- Responsible for auditing department’s compliance with internal policies.
- Responsible for accurate filing and reporting of settlements as required by Medicare Secondary Payer (MSP) reporting requirements included in Section 111 of the Medicare, Medicaid, and SCHIP Extension Act of 2007.
- Responsible for generating reports and reconciling data discrepancies within existing databases.
- Responsible for maintaining templates and prepares updates to templates.
- Maintains positive and cooperative communications and collaboration with all levels of employees, customers, contractors, and claimants.
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities, as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE YOU’LL BRING
- Bachelors Degree, Paralegal Certificate preferred
- 5+ years of experience within a law firm or corporation in a litigation setting preferred
- Good understanding of claims negotiation and settlement techniques
- Experience with counseling, customer service, insurance, claims or medical billing
- Excellent communication skills
WHAT WE OFFER
At Abbott, you can have a good job that can grow into a great career. We offer:
- Training and career development, with onboarding programs for new employees and tuition assistance
- Financial security through competitive compensation, incentives and retirement plans
- Health care and well-being programs including medical, dental, vision, wellness and occupational health programs
- Paid time off
- 401(k) retirement savings with a generous company match
- The stability of a company with a record of strong financial performance and history of being actively involved in local communities
Learn more about our benefits that add real value to your life to help you live fully: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that provides the growth and strength to build your future. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at www.abbott.com, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Abbott and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.